Q2 2022 Lumen DDoS Quarterly Report
Posted On August 10, 2022
The first half of 2022 has certainly been busy and full of surprises – two things you don’t usually want to hear when you’re reading about cybersecurity trends. The news reports about the ongoing slew of cyberattacks is enough to keep anyone awake at night.
That’s why we have this report. The purpose of our Quarterly DDoS reports is to provide our readers not just an overview of what Lumen has observed but to put those attacks into context for you – answering the essential question: “Why should I care?”
Don’t have time to read the full report? Here’s what you need to know at a glance:
- There is an emerging trend of attackers leveraging cloud-based virtual machine services in a fraudulent way to significantly boost their attack capabilities.
- “Hit-and-run”-style attacks that are smaller in size and duration are being used to evaluate organizations’ defenses.
- Bad actors are beginning to use more surgical methods when it comes to DDoS, instead of just relying on brute force.
Numbers you need to know:
- 1+ Tbps was the largest bandwidth attack we scrubbed
- 72% of attacks lasted less than 30 minutes
- Telecommunication, Software and Technology, and Gaming industries were targeted by the largest attacks.